Monday, October 09, 2006

I discovered some things today. I saw the negatives of some friends/people. I saw selfishness. Sometimes a person's whole worldview is changed by a single event, or an epiphany of sorts. This realisation has changed the way I view some of my friends. And it has also opened my eyes to the world and people around me. Our actions have such an effect on others. What we do could make someone's day, alas, it could also spoil one's day.

You know, we live in a dog eat-dog-world. Thats how I see it at least. Everybody's out to get everybody. Everyone's fighting to be on top- academically, financially, socially or whatever aspect it may be. We are so bent on it that we fail to consider the effects of our actions on some people. Today I encountered some selfish beings in the school library. Cream of the crop, top students, top classes, academically inclined. But lacking very much in character. Inconsiderate, selfish. "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow man." How apt... It's a shame not many of us stop to put ourselves in the recipients shoes and evaluate how we would wish to be treated if we were in their situation. It really set me thinking if these 'friends' I have are really worth my time. Self-righteous hypocrites. Sure, you're entitled mistakes. But if you perpetually make them, then you've failed as a friend and more so yourself.

Being surrounded by such beings has shortened my life, condensed it, if that makes any sense. Coming to the realization that life is short, I mean, really short, is about the only thing I will walk away from this experience having learned. Life, in theory, can be over before it really begins. No, I am not talking only of an untimely death, though I suppose that is one way life can be shortened...

As I sat in front of my paper filled desk in the library this morning, surrounded by noisy, rowdy beings, I thought to myself: "If I am on the 'right path', what makes it the 'right path'? when did I choose it? and how come all the people here decided to rebel?"

Maybe its just me. Maybe the problem lies with me. Afterall, I'm not much of an optimist. My cup is always half empty and my day only seems to last 12 hours while everyone else has 24. I don't know... God be the judge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home