Such questions have no answers
I'm having some difficulty adjusting back to life back home. Not that I've been away for a long time, but I've definitely yet to recover from the intensity of the whole trip. The simple, unpretentious way of life really won me over. Put this side by side with a very wet, humid and overwhelming Orchard road, flooded with consumerism and constructed versions of Christmas manifested through endless year-end sales and tacky Christmas songs. Get me out of here man. I don't know why I'm having such a strong resentment towards the vibes I get. Hours away, but worlds apart. I'm sick of watching people crowd at Orchard MRT, speaking at the top of their voices in typical heartlander Singlish. I miss the silence of the streets, how contentment was always on the faces of the Thais I met. It's different from home, where people are chained to their minute fleeting concerns like exam grades, COE prices, Mango sales, not getting into Zouk...etc. Then again, such concerns are universal, just expressed through different avenues. How different is a farmer worrying about his crops from a girl worried about not fitting into her jeans? Same, yet not quite... I can't put my finger to it. If I choose to go the other way next time, how will I be able to reconcilate two totally different lifestyles?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home