Monday, December 31, 2007

Soon, my friend

As the year approaches its grand finale, I guess it's perhaps fitting that I draw a conclusion to the year in general.

I wouldn't say that it has been a smooth sailing year, but I still made it through and I'm more than thankful for all the crazy adventures.

An important lesson I learnt is how not to take things at face value. How beauty can manipulate and at the same time be nothing but an empty shell. How confidence can blow anyone away. The value of the dollar. Selflessness. Selfishness.

But perhaps, the most powerful lesson of all that I have come to terms with this year is Observation. To speak less and observe more. Losing my voice for 5 days has brought a new perspective to the art of listening. Sometimes when you are voiceless, you are hopeless. Yet in this day and age, the importance of having a "voice" is so grossly underrated such that nobody bothers to treasure or appreciate it.

I guess the beauty about growing up is actually realising how painful the whole process is. Can anyone say otherwise, that it is not painful to realise that "the path to true love never did run smooth", that it is not painful to realise the "essentially evil nature of humans", that it doesn't suck to learn that "you just have to do what you gotta do" even though it means clearing up someone else's mess.

I hope that the coming year beckons well for my studies and dragon boating, and that I'd achieve a character that will stand the test of time. Also, I hope that as I become more aware about myself and others that I will learn to truly appreciate life.

Of course I'm nothing but 17, albeit with the mental capability of a 5 year old and lungs a little worn out. I've still got a long way to go and I guess what's most important is to be truly happy in whatever you do. But then again, decisions are never easy things.

I wish you a happy and fulfilling year ahead. May your dreams come true (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home